How Bad Will The Sag Be?…

Granted you’re talking about 1000 more pounds than our 5500 lb boat. But here is how ours sit. A little squat and drives fantastic.

View attachment 31683

Boats tow way easier than Campers due to the large sail the campers have VS boats or car trailers, for example. The camper's front end sticks way up above the truck's roof and creates wind drag that boats or car trailers do not, increasing the risk of sway.

Tongue weight on boats is generally less than that of campers. Because boats are much more aerodynamic to tow without the large high surface areas, tongue weight is typically 5-7% of boat weight, so your boat could be expected to have a tongue weight of 275 to 385 lbs.

Campers are usually 10-15% of total weight, so a 6500 lb camper is expected to be about 650 to 975 lbs, right in line with the OP'S 790lb tongue weight.

That boat sure looks good behind that truck! Looks like they were custom-made as a matching pair!
 
Boats tow way easier than Campers due to the large sail the campers have VS boats or car trailers, for example. The camper's front end sticks way up above the truck's roof and creates wind drag that boats or car trailers do not, increasing the risk of sway.

Tongue weight on boats is generally less than that of campers. Because boats are much more aerodynamic to tow without the large high surface areas, tongue weight is typically 5-7% of boat weight, so your boat could be expected to have a tongue weight of 275 to 385 lbs.

Campers are usually 10-15% of total weight, so a 6500 lb camper is expected to be about 650 to 975 lbs, right in line with the OP'S 790lb tongue weight.

That boat sure looks good behind that truck! Looks like they were custom-made as a matching pair!
Thanks!!

Good info to know. :)

Chris
 
Airbags DO NOT increase payload capacity and do not substitute for a WDH. See this video for a good explanation. Skip to 7 Minute mark if you want to get to the meat of it.

I don't believe anyone is arguing this fact, the focus is reducing sag, which the RHO has plenty of when towing due to the long travel suspension.
 
Has anybody stopped to consider that nobody would bat and eye if they were towing that camper with a 2500 truck same axle same length of frame same vehicle weight roughly. This is all about soft suspension in this particular scenario. I have the airbags get them. If you want to do the WDH fine but bag your truck
 
Has anybody stopped to consider that nobody would bat and eye if they were towing that camper with a 2500 truck same axle same length of frame same vehicle weight roughly. This is all about soft suspension in this particular scenario. I have the airbags get them. If you want to do the WDH fine but bag your truck
This!

Our Longhorn was a 1500 with factory airbags and was rated for 12k lbs?

The RHO has a stronger frame, same brakes, more powerful engine…but softer suspension. That’s it.

Chris
 
Airbags DO NOT increase payload capacity and do not substitute for a WDH. See this video for a good explanation. Skip to 7 Minute mark if you want to get to the meat of it.

Most people understand that. It has nothing to do with increasing weight capacity, and I haven’t heard anybody say they thought it did. It’s about controlling the load. It adds adjustment to your spring stiffness and takes out enough of the squat. I do think all air bag companies have misleading marketing when they list them with a weight capacity.
 
Last edited:
I'm towing a 19' IBEX (Beast Mode package) with dual axels and a fully independent suspension with spring and shocks, specs below. I have gone with the WDH, AirLift bags and Hellwig rear sway bar for the reason of comfort and peace of mind towing, I want to enjoy the whole trip including getting from point A to B without a worry. I'm also considering the Curt True Course but have read somewhere our trucks come equipped with a similar system built in while towing. Does anyone know anything about that or the True Course control?

  • Dry Weight: 4,314 lbs (some sources list 4,655 lbs depending on configuration)
  • GVWR: 7,474–7,600 lbs
  • Hitch Weight: 474–600 lbs
 
I'm towing a 19' IBEX (Beast Mode package) with dual axels and a fully independent suspension with spring and shocks, specs below. I have gone with the WDH, AirLift bags and Hellwig rear sway bar for the reason of comfort and peace of mind towing, I want to enjoy the whole trip including getting from point A to B without a worry. I'm also considering the Curt True Course but have read somewhere our trucks come equipped with a similar system built in while towing. Does anyone know anything about that or the True Course control?

  • Dry Weight: 4,314 lbs (some sources list 4,655 lbs depending on configuration)
  • GVWR: 7,474–7,600 lbs
  • Hitch Weight: 474–600 lbs
I would be very curious to know what the manufacturer thinks of using a WDH in conjunction with their trailer. Everything you talked about is OK with turning right or left on flat ish ground. It’s just not OK with going up or down or with a trailer that’s twisting opposite of your truck.
 
I would be very curious to know what the manufacturer thinks of using a WDH in conjunction with their trailer. Everything you talked about is OK with turning right or left on flat ish ground. It’s just not OK with going up or down or with a trailer that’s twisting opposite of your truck.
Curt states there are no issues with using a WDH with the suspension on how the WDH and the suspension work. I had looked into it prior wanting to know how I should tow and set-up with this being a completely different trailer suspension then I had in the past.
 
Curt states there are no issues with using a WDH with the suspension on how the WDH and the suspension work. I had looked into it prior wanting to know how I should tow and set-up with this being a completely different trailer suspension then I had in the past.
Curt didn’t make the trailer and doesn’t make trailers. You’re talking to the wrong person call the trailer manufacturer that made your trailer.
 
Well gents, I was pleasantly surprised today. Finally towed with the RHO for the first time, pulling a 34ft camper. The truck did fantastic towing such a large trailer. I thought it would be much worse with the soft coils in the rear, but it was very manageable with just a WDH. Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1833.webp
    IMG_1833.webp
    251.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1834.webp
    IMG_1834.webp
    420.9 KB · Views: 39
Airbags DO NOT increase payload capacity and do not substitute for a WDH. See this video for a good explanation. Skip to 7 Minute mark if you want to get to the meat of it.

Thanks for this video. I didn't really understand the weight-distributing hitch thing before this. It is now obvious why you need one: it shifts the load to be shared across all the tires instead of overloading the rear. If I start towing I will be buying one.
 
CAI or no CAI??? New owner SE PA Exhaust With High Flow PSP Downpipes What did you do to your RHO Today? Dash Cams RHO Wheel spacers
CAI or no CAI??? New owner SE PA Exhaust With High Flow PSP Downpipes What did you do to your RHO Today?

Latest Discussions...

Trending content

Back
Top