Anyone had a Jeep GC?

Does anyone here know much on the long-term reliability of the GC? How about Hemi vs V6?

Most in the price range I’d like to buy at are in the 120-180k mile range. Generally 2012-2017 model year.
Of all the reading I’ve done and having owned 2 previous Durangos…maintenance..like anything, is key. The V6s I know will end up eating the top end if they go too long between oil changes. However, plenty of stories of them going well over 250k miles.

The black one I initially posted about, went 17k miles between one oil change. That was after the first of 7k miles. All the rest were 5-6k miles. Somehow I missed it and Carfax said great service history 🤣

Needless to say I heard something driving it home for a closer inspection. Go home, at idle pretty quiet, above 2k and I could hear it rattling around. Gave the benefit of the doubt and removed the serpentine belt to eliminate any other possibilities. Nope, top end was done.

Good thing about them, most everything on the vehicle is engineered and built by Mercedes so they are pretty tough.

The one I picked up today, night and day and the engine is silent. It’s not a “macho” looking Jeep but I like the color combo.


IMG_6451.webp

IMG_6450.webp
 
I had a 19 and it was problem free except the radiator came apart at like 20,000 miles.
 
There is one year of the last gen GC to avoid…I believe it’s 2013?

There were serious suspension issues (rollover prone, as I recall). Anyway, they made major “mid-cycle” changes the following year to include electrical updates that improved the vehicle 10 fold.

From ChatGPT:

Simple rule of thumb for WK2 buyers

  • Best overall years: 2014, 2018, 2021
  • Best value sweet spot: 2018–2020
  • Years to be cautious with: 2011–2013
 
Last edited:
There is one year of the last gen GC to avoid…I believe it’s 2013?

There were serious suspension issues (rollover prone, as I recall). Anyway, they made major “mid-cycle” changes the following year to include electrical updates that improved the vehicle 10 fold.

From ChatGPT:

Simple rule of thumb for WK2 buyers

  • Best overall years: 2014, 2018, 2021
  • Best value sweet spot: 2018–2020
  • Years to be cautious with: 2011–2013
Definitely 2015+
 
Definitely digging it. And already miss my Merc lol

Going to do just a few mods..and then it’ll just be my DD.


Chris
 
I had a 2015 GC SRT8 6.4L. Red Vapor Edition. It was so sweet. No major issues at all. The interior carbon fiber trim started to debond, and they replaced it under warranty. Seemed about as fast as the RHO with that engine in it. So much more maneuverable than the truck! LOL.
 
I had a 2015 GC SRT8 6.4L. Red Vapor Edition. It was so sweet. No major issues at all. The interior carbon fiber trim started to debond, and they replaced it under warranty. Seemed about as fast as the RHO with that engine in it. So much more maneuverable than the truck! LOL.
I’ll never forgot the time a took a buddies track hawk on a road trip from Phoenix or Lego land. It was a blast to drive.
 
I have had 2 1 v8 1 v6 great vehicles. If it has air suspension it might leak occasionally but not a hard fix.. the 3.6 is known for cam phaser sensors or lifters at about 100k but no biggie. My 100k mike gladiator is getting new cam phasers sensors next week
 
Installed Vossen HXF-6 18x9 zero Offset New guy~ (2025) RHO Orders @ Mark Dodge! $9K-$11K Dealer Discount (Before incentives) 2026 RAM RHO Order/Schedule/Build Thread RAM Coupon Easy upgrades
Installed Vossen HXF-6 18x9 zero Offset New guy~ (2025) RHO Orders @ Mark Dodge! $9K-$11K Dealer Discount (Before incentives) 2026 RAM RHO Order/Schedule/Build Thread
Back
Top