RHO - Exhaust

chrisc291

Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2025
Messages
58
Reaction score
46
Location
Lake Charles, LA
Current Ride
2026 Ram 2500
Military
USMC
The only reason I got rid of my first RHO was the sound of the exhaust, I'm old 56 years young and call me crazy but I just don't think the sound is something you want to hear from this motor. Yes if it was a V8 100% on board with wanting to hear it rumble. I know this is petty but it's my number 1 debate on ordering a new RHO. I know that nothing has changed on the exhaust and I have two questions. Does anyone else feel this way on the muffler sound? Has anyone attempted putting an aftermarket muffler to address the sound? I don't want to sacrifice any performance if I go the aftermarket route, my number 1 wish is that there was a selector switch.
 
I understand your view, but I can’t back you up on this one brother. The V8 exhaust note of the TRX is great and if you aren’t willing to pay six-figures to buy new (I’m can but I’m not), get a used one. I personally love the RHO and the Hurricane HO.

Bought a MY25 L1 and haven’t looked back. With the CAT6 my 0-60 is consistently 4.4 and I’m at 6,000 feet with 91 octane. The RHO does everything I want it to do, looks great, and turns heads.

IF I change the exhaust it will be for performance reasons, not sound. I know the “real” truck guys have to have the Hemi sound and will opt for a slower, less powerful V8 over the Hurricane. I get that, but that ain’t me. I will choose performance over sound every day. The TRX and RHO compete in different market segments, so I don’t see the Hellcat as a “competitor” to the Hurricane HO.

For reference, I’m 62 and love V8s for what they are.

I don’t begrudge anyone who doesn’t share my opinion, because it’s subjective and like arguing over which shade of blue is the best (the answer is Hydro Blue, obviously). You asked, so thought I’d share my 2-cents. YMMV.

Buy what makes you happy 😀
 
Last edited:
I realize this probably does not help you, but I have the factory exhaust. The only thing I did was clamp the clatter valves open. I honestly prefer the sound of my truck over the sound of the TRX with the hellcat. I drove a jeep Wrangler with a 392 a few months back when looking for a new vehicle for my wife, and I honestly couldn’t stand the sound of the thing no matter which exhaust mode you put it in. It was horrific and unnecessarily loud. For a sidenote, I am 60 years old. Definitely grew up in the V8 culture.
 
I understand your view, but I can’t back you up on this one brother. The V8 exhaust note of the TRX is great and if you aren’t willing to pay six-figures to buy new (I’m can but I’m not), get a used one. I personally love the RHO and the Hurricane HO.

Bought a MY25 L1 and haven’t looked back. With the CAT6 my 0-60 is consistently 4.4 and I’m at 6,000 feet with 91 octane. The RHO does everything I want it to do, looks great, and turns heads.

IF I change the exhaust it will be for performance reasons, not sound. I know the “real” truck guys have to have the Hemi sound and will opt for a slower, less powerful V8 over the Hurricane. I get that, but that ain’t me. I will choose performance over sound every day. The TRX and RHO compete in different market segments, so I don’t see the Hellcat as a “competitor” to the Hurricane HO.

I don’t begrudge anyone who doesn’t share my opinion, because it’s subjective and like arguing over which shade of blue is the best (the answer is Hydro Blue, obviously). You asked, so thought I’d share my 2-cents. YMMV.

Buy what makes you happy 😀
I appreciate your response! I The TRX is not an option for me at this time I can't justify the extra cost for sound, I like everything about the RHO just struggle somewhat with the exhaust.
 
I realize this probably does not help you, but I have the factory exhaust. The only thing I did was clamp the clatter valves open. I honestly prefer the sound of my truck over the sound of the TRX with the hellcat. I drove a jeep Wrangler with a 392 a few months back when looking for a new vehicle for my wife, and I honestly couldn’t stand the sound of the thing no matter which exhaust mode you put it in. It was horrific and unnecessarily loud. For a sidenote, I am 60 years old. Definitely grew up in the V8 culture.
Very helpful Thanks!
 
Also wanted to add to my previous post I initially didn’t care for the sound of the RHO sound when I picked mine up. But it has definitely grown on me. It just happens to be what a high-performance in-line six engine sound like, and I have always appreciated the assets of an inline 6.
 
No matter what you do to the exhaust, it will sound more like an import. There are some exhausts out there with slightly deeper tones, but no matter what an inline 6 produces a higher note exhaust sound that the bigger displacement v8's will.
 
Last edited:
No matter what you do to the exhaust, it will sound more like an import. There are some exhausts out there with slightly deeper tons, but not matter what an inline 6 produces a higher note exhaust sound that the bigger displacement v8's will.
Understood I appreciate it!
 
The only reason I got rid of my first RHO was the sound of the exhaust, I'm old 56 years young and call me crazy but I just don't think the sound is something you want to hear from this motor. Yes if it was a V8 100% on board with wanting to hear it rumble. I know this is petty but it's my number 1 debate on ordering a new RHO. I know that nothing has changed on the exhaust and I have two questions. Does anyone else feel this way on the muffler sound? Has anyone attempted putting an aftermarket muffler to address the sound? I don't want to sacrifice any performance if I go the aftermarket route, my number 1 wish is that there was a selector switch.
All these guys aren't messing with the exhaust because it sounds great, it sounds like crap. It just does. When friends come over to see the truck and ask me to fire it up I refuse, its embarassing. They're also biudling a lot more TRXs than RHOs despite the ludicrous price difference.

Having said that I own an RHO because I'm not willing to spend 30k more for sound. A lot of good guys on the forum rant and rave about how much better the hurricane is than a hemi and they don't need to do that. Buy what you like. If you love the hurricane you're getting a great deal over the cost of the hemi and I'm happy for you.

I think the hurricane is theoretically about 4 tenths quicker than the 392 and it that matters to you it may be the better choice. Its irrelevant to me.
 
I have too much fun blowing the doors off V8's with my craptastic little 3L I6.
 
You make a good point, I think you would probably beat a 392 rumble bee if that's your thing.
 
BUILD QUALITY Drivers mirror removal Ram RHO Forged Blue Metallic Photo Thread First video on many for new Ram 1500 RHO What did you do to your RHO Today? JANUARY order updates!
BUILD QUALITY Drivers mirror removal Ram RHO Forged Blue Metallic Photo Thread First video on many for new Ram 1500 RHO

Trending content

Back
Top