Auto 4WD explained

this is good to know, I had no idea our off-road truck actually has clutched system.. The AWD and 4WD is kinda misleading and it comes down to its definition. So RHO is AWD but has 4WD buttons, should probably say AWD auto lol. Same with the 4x4 in the back. It's not 4x4 as 4wd but 4x4 as four wheel drive. Definitely marketing stuff.

Had few Audi's when years ago. Both AWD by definition. One with 3 differentials. Second one with 2 and slip clutch (Haldex). Both called Quattro, even though the haldex one isn't really a quattro. But is used for marketing purposes. They still use the name for all transverse engine models.
Yeah my VW R32 used a Haldex system, too. I never got around to it but you could get a Haldex controller to allow transferring up to 70% of the torque to the rear wheels. Under normal operation it was I think 65F:35R. Fun little car but once I lowered it it ate tires! But that VR6 with the exhaust I had on it.....:love:
 
Just Devil's advocate here, but why does it matter? Are you going to sleep better if you feel like AWD = Auto4WD?
Tim just share your video again you had with the Ram engineer who explained this.
 
That’s incorrect. It’s both. When driving in auto4wd it functions like AWD but when you select 4WD hi or 4WD lo it is a tru locked 4WD system at least that’s how I understand it.
Exactly. And the fact is has a lockable diff, there’s that too.

Chris
 
Yeah my VW R32 used a Haldex system, too. I never got around to it but you could get a Haldex controller to allow transferring up to 70% of the torque to the rear wheels. Under normal operation it was I think 65F:35R. Fun little car but once I lowered it it ate tires! But that VR6 with the exhaust I had on it.....:love:
Haldex system is one of , if not the best for cars.

Chris
 
Agreed. It really functions like AWD, but with the option to go to 4x4 when needed.

The Sequoia we just got is listed as 4x4, as well, but it’s 2WD normally and needs to be put into 4x4 when needed.

For me, I really prefer the Auto AWD at all times. No concern for wheel slip in normal driving conditions, but can go into 4x4 when really needed
 
That’s incorrect. It’s both. When driving in auto4wd it functions like AWD but when you select 4WD hi or 4WD lo it is a tru locked 4WD system at least that’s how I understand it.
again, it depends on the definition of the "tru locked 4wd" as that I would call a system where you can lock both diffs.
Some AWD cars like Audi have locks too but still wouldn't say if you lock the axle they turn into 4WD cars
on RHO there is a lock only on the rear diff, front one is only simulated via electrocnics and use of brakes.. wouldn't call that locked system.

it's probably like saying the Hyundai N EV has 8 speed transmission.. well it feels like it does, it drives like it does, it's shifting and all, but it's just electronically simulated :))

but anyway, glad to learn something new about the truck, probably won't ever use anything other than the auto mode anyway.. on wet I tried to push it a bit and it feels it's heavily understeering
 
Tonneau debate continues Producion question *** Post New RHO Photos Here *** RHO Level 0 Discussion We got movement - 19 Nov Order Do we like the 2025 Ram 1500 RHO after months & 14k miles of ownership with Ctech-review & Pickuptrucktalk ?
Tonneau debate continues Producion question *** Post New RHO Photos Here *** RHO Level 0 Discussion

Trending content

Back
Top