Back yard pit legend (smoking/grilling etc)

Smoked a tri tip on the egg yesterday. Dry brined with Dinosaur seasoning overnight. Brought it up to 125, let it rest, than seared on the Napoleon for some char. Ended the night with a few night caps.
Banger
 
And breakfast the next day. Bacon, chicken apple sausage, pancakes (turned out kinda like biscuits lol) and eggs not pictured.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3774.webp
    IMG_3774.webp
    330.1 KB · Views: 31
Pastrami beef ribs

This was every bit as delicious as a packer I made pastrami last time using my Traeger. This had better smoke flavor of course.

7-ish lb rack of beef plate ribs. I got a 2 pack (total of 13.3 lbs) for $80 at Albertson’s the other day!!! Split them with my buddy.

Brined them in pickling spice, brown sugar, kosher salt, garlic powder and Prague powder 1. Left for 9 days in the fridge flipping occasionally.

Last night I took them out of the brine, rinsed under cold water and set them to dry on a wire rack in the fridge.

This morning seasoned with 1 part 16 mesh pepper, 1 part coriander, 1/2 part paprika.

Fired up the egg to 275 using the Chef’sTemp S1, Breezo and G2 probe. Ran with B&B “with oak” lump lol. Tossed in post oak chunks for the smoke.

Put them on at 845ish this morning and they finished right about 5pm. A little over 8 hours. No wrap no nothing, just rotated them every couple hours. Pulled when probe tender, which for this rack was about 201.

Made sandwiches with rye bread, grillo pickles, sauerkraut, stone ground mustard, Swiss cheese. Had some homemade pickled red onions on the side and paired it all with a Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen I’ve had in my fridge for probably 2 years and kept forgetting about.

Simply fantastic. Highly recommend. My wife laughed as I sat back and said “the 12 hours I spent making this was worth it for one sandwich” lol.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3828.webp
    IMG_3828.webp
    203.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3836.webp
    IMG_3836.webp
    334.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3837.webp
    IMG_3837.webp
    341.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3838.webp
    IMG_3838.webp
    377 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3839.webp
    IMG_3839.webp
    234.5 KB · Views: 14
Surf and turf night. SRF American wagyu porterhouse dry brined 24 hours, seared at 700, and finished while the tails were grilled with garlic butter. Better than any steakhouse I’ve been to!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0175.webp
    IMG_0175.webp
    317.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0173.webp
    IMG_0173.webp
    335.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0172.webp
    IMG_0172.webp
    256.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0178.mov
    14.4 MB
Please post results, I can never get just the flat juicy lol
This is literally my first brisket.

Ruining a $35 piece of meat is easier on the wallet that ruining a $130 piece of meat.

I'm adding pats of clarified bacon fat during the cook to keep it moist.

I'll post the results, good or bad...
1000009243.webp
 
Last edited:
...I'm spritzing it with water and apple cider vinegar too...
 
Well, the old trusty Z Grill shit the bed this weekend,( not really, just the fan, but don’t tell my wife that), which gives me the perfect excuse to upgrade. Anyone have any experience with Reqtec? I’m looking at the Reqtec X -Fire Pro because I need to be able to sear , and it has open flame cooking as well as being a smoker. It’s on sale for the holiday, anyone have any experience or recommendations? Has to be capable of at least 700*or better otherwise , no bueno. Thanks in advance
 
...I'm spritzing it with water and apple cider vinegar too...
You could only spritz if not wrapping and only towards the end if the bark looks dry
 
Well, the old trusty Z Grill shit the bed this weekend,( not really, just the fan, but don’t tell my wife that), which gives me the perfect excuse to upgrade. Anyone have any experience with Reqtec? I’m looking at the Reqtec X -Fire Pro because I need to be able to sear , and it has open flame cooking as well as being a smoker. It’s on sale for the holiday, anyone have any experience or recommendations? Has to be capable of at least 700*or better otherwise , no bueno. Thanks in advance
700° is a tall order for a smoker.

There are some, but most are very expensive unicorns 🦄...

We have the Woodwind Pro, a Blackstone griddle, and I'm saving for a Napoleon Phantom 500. (It's time to retire the 17 yr old Charbroil)
 
You could only spritz if not wrapping and only towards the end if the bark looks dry
I'm cooking it to 170°, the wrapping it to 205°...
(Smoker is set to 225°)
 
700° is a tall order for a smoker.

There are some, but most are very expensive unicorns 🦄...

We have the Woodwind Pro, a Blackstone griddle, and I'm saving for a Napoleon Phantom 500. (It's time to retire the 17 yr old Charbroil)
Yes, most don’t go that high, but there are some that do. That’s why I’m looking at the Reqtec. That specific model I referenced before actually has an option to cook over an open flame so that one goes up to 1200°. I did not see too many in my price range anyways that went above 600. Most only 500. I like to be able to sear my ribeyes and do other open lid cooking without having a separate grill. The one I’m looking at seems to check all the boxes and from what I’m reading that brand has pretty good reviews.
 
I'm cooking it to 170°, the wrapping it to 205°...
(Smoker is set to 225°)
Bumped the temperature to 300° to speed up the last 15°.

The velociraptors are getting hungry! My girls are straight carnivores...
 
Time to rest, while corn on the cob boils..
 

Attachments

  • 1000009244.webp
    1000009244.webp
    539.2 KB · Views: 13
Unwrapped / All that's left.

Honest opinion:

It wasn’t overly dry, but it was very firm. The girls loved it, so, I'll call it a win.

Again, this was my first attempt at cooking a brisket, so it was a learning experience.

1000009245.webp
1000009246.webp
 
Unwrapped / All that's left.

Honest opinion:

It wasn’t overly dry, but it was very firm. The girls loved it, so, I'll call it a win.

Again, this was my first attempt at cooking a brisket, so it was a learning experience.

View attachment 32317View attachment 32318
Cool man! My friend smokes a lot of meat and it’s so good it has me thinking of giving it a try. I’m sure it’s like everything, practice makes perfect.
 
In Bed Molle Panels What did you do to your RHO Today? New info on 98 mph top speed. FALL ROADTRIP 🍁🍂 *** Post New RHO Photos Here *** 3 RHO’s available that were not picked up!
In Bed Molle Panels What did you do to your RHO Today? New info on 98 mph top speed. FALL ROADTRIP 🍁🍂

Trending content

Back
Top