Overland- Let's see those racks, toppers, and RTTs

Has anyone run or heard anything on the Putco Venture TEC racks? They seem to offer lots of options and flexibility, the base t-slots utilize the stake pockets for mounting and don’t appear to interfere with a tonneau. They do come with that premium cost.
I run one on my current truck, but not sure how they might look with the RHO. I really appreciate how they're modular and they match the body lines of my Trail Boss really well, but I honestly hate that because they mount in the stake pockets, trying to undo the clips on the RTT cover next to the cab is a pain. They sell "elevated" cross bars that you can mount the RTT on that eliminates having to mount it so close to the cab, but of course, that's $750 more. lol.
 
I run one on my current truck, but not sure how they might look with the RHO. I really appreciate how they're modular and they match the body lines of my Trail Boss really well, but I honestly hate that because they mount in the stake pockets, trying to undo the clips on the RTT cover next to the cab is a pain. They sell "elevated" cross bars that you can mount the RTT on that eliminates having to mount it so close to the cab, but of course, that's $750 more. lol.
How easy does it come on and off the truck? Would you mind posting some pics if you have them. I’m undecided if I want to run the rack all the time or more as needed. We have a RTT but that’s typically on my wife’s 4Runner.
 
How easy does it come on and off the truck? Would you mind posting some pics if you have them. I’m undecided if I want to run the rack all the time or more as needed. We have a RTT but that’s typically on my wife’s 4Runner.
I'll look back thru my photos on my laptop tomorrow and find some better pics and post them. I will say the rack is not super complicated to take on and off, but it is time consuming. I've left it on the truck full time and I installed it back in 2021. The tent is the big thing. The one I got is large, and weighs about 375 lbs. With a tall truck and the tall rack, it is a PAIN to take on and off. I've used my dad's tractor to do it because it's just not really possible with one or two people. If I get another RTT, I think I'll definitely splurge for a hard shell that's a little bit smaller and lighter.
 
What height did you go with? I’ve been on their site a bit configuring and looking at options, thinking about doing the 3a kit.
I went with the mid height 17” because once my tent is on and closed I want it to be as flush with the roof as I could get while still having decent amount of vertical room in the bed
 
I went with Diamondback HD with FrontRunner bars. I like how they are low, I can mount a million things to them. My shovel and axe are mounted inside the bed with quick fists on the cargo rails. I also have the 8” deep storage box they sell which eats up little bed space and is easily removable (kinetic rope, hard shackles, soft shackles, recovery hitches, VAIR 7-pin compressor, tow straps, tools, etc). I also have room for bike stuff there! I have yet to pick a RTT for the family but with a hard tent it will sit below or at can height and I could still put bikes or kayaks on top.
IMG_7773.webp
 
Xtrusion overland mid height rack with an open road LT tent and 270* awning🙏
That look like a decent rack. Can you post up some more pics of your setup?
 
That look like a decent rack. Can you post up some more pics of your setup?
IMG_7980.webp
I’ve got lift gates installed on both sides but need to remove some Molle panels on the right side because they hit the awning mounts right now I think I’m going to have to just run 4 or maybe 5. It’s fully modular though can add whatever you want with the t slots
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7979.webp
    IMG_7979.webp
    118.6 KB · Views: 61
Thanks. That looks like a really good design. They have tons of accessories for the custom build. I assume no complaints?
 
Thanks. That looks like a really good design. They have tons of accessories for the custom build. I assume no complaints?
None yet! I haven’t used the setup yet but going in a few weeks for the first time finally so just making sure everything works how I want still but yeah the design is really cool can do basically anything
 
Well, let me know how the first run goes. You can send me a PM to keep this post cleaner. Curious about the tapered and straight. I assume you got the straight bed and I am not sure what they mean by tapered. Sounds like some RAM’s have beds that get narrower?
 
Nice!Anything you would change or happy with it all? Not that I bought my RHO for MPG, but how does the setup impact things in that regard?
 
Nice!Anything you would change or happy with it all? Not that I bought my RHO for MPG, but how does the setup impact things in that regard?
Actually didn’t change it really still get 13 mostly city driving (small town not an actual city lol) but I made it about level with the roof and with the bed cover the only thing really adding any drag is the awning off the side bit doesn’t make much of a difference imo. Only thing that isn’t as convenient as I thought was the awning bc I go to a lot of music festivals we have set camp site spaces and it goes over into other peoples so might have to get a 180 instead of 270 lol
 
Awesome..thanks! I appreciate you sharing all the info
 
Thanks all for sharing your rack & tent setups, really helped me decide on mine. About to head out on a trip through Montana, Idaho, Washington and British Columbia and thought I'd share my setup.

Setup:
Retrax Pro tonneau with the Yakima Overhaul HD rack. On that I added my Roofnest Falcon tent I got about 5 years ago with an Arb awning.

I also use the zip in arb enclosure room under the awning when camped. I can show photos once I complete the trip if there is interest.

I really researched rack heights because my tent is pretty long (88") so I thought I had to get a rack that would let me clear the sat antenna on the cab so the tent would not overhang the back of the truck. Turns out the tent fits great at 20.5" rack height (20" marking on Yakima) with very acceptable overhang.
 

Attachments

  • 20260531_132941.webp
    20260531_132941.webp
    464.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20260531_132914.webp
    20260531_132914.webp
    267.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20260531_132925.webp
    20260531_132925.webp
    241.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20260531_132946.webp
    20260531_132946.webp
    419.5 KB · Views: 55
JANUARY order updates! RHO Delivered ARK MUD FLAPS Closed on a 2026 RHO today Show me your pie! JB4 or Diablosport.. that is THE question
JANUARY order updates! RHO Delivered ARK MUD FLAPS Closed on a 2026 RHO today

Trending content

Back
Top