Anyone with a Wrangler?

I haven't done many mods to this one. The blue one was my 2019 and it had 37s with 4:10s. Commuting sucked with it.
View attachment 33869
Do those trim rings come off?

I’d love to duplicate the colors of the RHO wheels honestly.

Chris
 
Do those trim rings come off?

I’d love to duplicate the colors of the RHO

They come off on both the Orange Jeep and RHO. The Jeeps are not true bead-locks though.
 
Yep

They are fun and great for jamm'n around

I’d rather drive my rubicon in the city vs the RHO

A decent set of shocks and the right tire pressure and they ride great.
IMG_7083.webp


And they will simply do what nothing else can

IMG_6808.webp
 
Last edited:
Yep

They are fun and great for jamm'n around

I’d rather drive my rubicon in the city vs the RHO

A decent set of shocks and the right tire pressure and they ride great.
View attachment 33889

And they will simply do what nothing else can

View attachment 33891
Thanks!! Yeah I’ve been reading the forums and that’s the general consensus, air the tires down a little and better shocks.

I know this is like which oil is best……but from what you have seen, Turbo4 or the V6?

Chris
 
Thanks!! Yeah I’ve been reading the forums and that’s the general consensus, air the tires down a little and better shocks.

I know this is like which oil is best……but from what you have seen, Turbo4 or the V6?

Chris
Never experienced the V6, the wife's first (current) wrangler has the 2.0l and has never had any issues. This was the first year Jeep started to use this engine.
Only thing I don't like about it is it a noisy engine. Not quiet by no means, but runs great and its pretty quick for little motor. It does have more HP and Torque then the V6.
Her ordered one has the same engine, as my wife likes to go fast, not that a wrangler is fast but that is the vehicle she wants.
 
Last edited:
Thanks!! Yeah I’ve been reading the forums and that’s the general consensus, air the tires down a little and better shocks.

I know this is like which oil is best……but from what you have seen, Turbo4 or the V6?

Chris
2.0 all day

50 pound feet more torque through the bottom and midrange makes a huge difference in driving experience.

3.6 has had a history of eating cam ledges requiring head replacement.

The rubicon gets you front rear lockers plus a 4:1 t-case and the dana m210 front axle plus a wider track of 68” vs 66.5” and 4.10 gears. Not to mention skids 1” taller suspension and 33-35’s depending on pacjage

I put the ol’ lady in a rubicon just so i never have to worry about her getting stuck somewhere.

Food for thought

Side note 4xe’s are dookie and have the absolute worst resale of the wrangler trims.
 
Boy some of you guys whine a lot. I've been driving Wranglers for years. Currently have a 392 and it rides just fine if you know how to set them up. My 60something YO wife daily drives her 4 dr Rubicon every day and loves it. First thing you do is air the tires down to something reasonable (28-32 lbs) and get a Tazer to shut the tire pressure light off.
 
I've had my 392 for over 2 years now. Put over 11K miles on it. They drive fine as long as you have good tires and don't go crazy with a lift and suspension changes. The one thing that hurts the driving experience is if it's windy. It kills the mileage since you are driving a brick, and cross winds will keep your attention, otherwise they drive fine. We just took ours to Colorado and back, drove I70 with one hand on the wheel with moderate winds. Mine is stock except for a 2 inch AEV spacer lift. Get one and enjoy!!!
392.webp
 
I've had my 392 for over 2 years now. Put over 11K miles on it. They drive fine as long as you have good tires and don't go crazy with a lift and suspension changes. The one thing that hurts the driving experience is if it's windy. It kills the mileage since you are driving a brick, and cross winds will keep your attention, otherwise they drive fine. We just took ours to Colorado and back, drove I70 with one hand on the wheel with moderate winds. Mine is stock except for a 2 inch AEV spacer lift. Get one and enjoy!!!
View attachment 33930
That spacer lift is why your Jeep doesn't like wind... You have effectively reduced the steering caster by 1.2-1.3 degrees and that is from an already lower caster compared to that of a sport. The lower control arms are all the same across all trims. So from the factory you have different caster angles... which is dumb...

put a set of adjustable lower control arms on it and rotate that pinion to 0 degrees and this will give you 6 degrees of caster.

massive improvement over what you are currently driving.

Or just buy the Mopar longer arms if you don't want to play with adjustment or pay for the added adjustability, strength and flex.
 
They drive fine, except for a laundry list of why they don't. - Every Wrangler Owner. 🤣🤣
 
That spacer lift is why your Jeep doesn't like wind... You have effectively reduced the steering caster by 1.2-1.3 degrees and that is from an already lower caster compared to that of a sport. The lower control arms are all the same across all trims. So from the factory you have different caster angles... which is dumb...

put a set of adjustable lower control arms on it and rotate that pinion to 0 degrees and this will give you 6 degrees of caster.

massive improvement over what you are currently driving.

Or just buy the Mopar longer arms if you don't want to play with adjustment or pay for the added adjustability, strength and flex.
Those Im sure even help the regular Rubicons? Maybe one of my first mods?

Chris
 
Thinking of selling my JGC and MX-5, and buy a new Rubicon with the auto retractable soft top and 35’s as my DD

Any hints, words of caution etc?

Thanks!!

Chris
We have a Willy, 2.0L 4 cyl/turbo with a 35s and a 3 inch lift. My current aftermarket suspension sucks which I will replace so currently rides a bit rougher than stock. The Rubicon or the Sahara rides way better than my 2021 Willy, but don't get it if you want a supple ride quality. Otherwise, we love ours.
 
We have a Willy, 2.0L 4 cyl/turbo with a 35s and a 3 inch lift. My current aftermarket suspension sucks which I will replace so currently rides a bit rougher than stock. The Rubicon or the Sahara rides way better than my 2021 Willy, but don't get it if you want a supple ride quality. Otherwise, we love ours.
What suspension do you have and what sucks about it?
 
Thanks everyone!!

I got my build figured out with @AnthonyRI and he is awesome.

Just have to pull the trigger. :)

View attachment 33931

Chris
congratulations on your wrangler i have one for 3 years just purchased an RHO last monday from Mark Dodge and still waiting for the delivery. Im planning of using the Wrangler for tight trails and rock crawling and the RHO for desert runs and overlanding. If you will use the full capabilities of your Wrangler you wouldn't regret purchasing it. congratulations again cheers.
 
What suspension do you have and what sucks about it?
It's Rough Country. It's a pretty rough ride. It was on when we bought it in 23 and since then I've learned a lot and I've got a good Jeep guy that will put in a new suspension for a better ride. The guys I've been talking to won't put Rough Country on their customers Jeeps unless the customer buys it and asks them to install and I know first hand that it's an unpleasant ride. My friend's 2025 Rubicon is stock and it's still a Jeep but way better on the ride.
 
Okay here’s my two cents having owned a 2011 JKUR on 2.5” lift and 37’s with 5.13 gears and lots of other shit. Suffice it to say I was building a toy to play with in the rocks. But come 2015 it sat in the driveway for 3 years as it was no longer a daily and I ended up taking it in for a 2019 Ram 1500.

No Wrangler owner EVER bought one because they are just phenomenal on the highway. It’s a solid front and rear axle vehicle and was never really designed to handle regular roads. The Wrangler is THE BEST production Offroad vehicle you can buy and it does that really well, even in the lower trims. The Rubicon just does it better because of the beefier axles, lockers, electric sway bar disconnects, etc. None of which will make it handle better on the highway. So if you’re hoping for something that’s good on the highway…sorry brother but the Wrangler ain’t it.

That said…they are A LOT of fun…. In the right environment. And the soft top will be time icing on that cake! Bought mine new with a hard top and as soon as I bought a soft top for it…I sold the hard top and rarely ever had all the soft top windows on. Noisy as shit and forget Bluetooth…. But incredible nonetheless. Even better naked…sans top and doors. But where it really shines is in the rocks. Air the tires down to 12-15 psi and there’s not much a stock rubicon can’t handle outside of ground clearance.

And contrary to what someone else said you don’t need a shop to do a full lift with shocks etc. Extremely doable in your garage with some hand tools, a few buddies and free beer. Jeep build parties are one of the best perks of owning a Jeep! And there’s no shortage of help in the community. The only thing I paid to have done to mine was getting the axles regeared. And it was a Jeep buddy that was also a tech that did them for me. Cost me about $1100 including the Yukon gears and install kits and the tools I bought for my buddy to do it. Every shop at the time was $1700-$2000. So if you do decide at some point you want to build it (and you will) ….seek help from the Jeep community first.

My wife and I have toyed with the idea of building another (better) Wrangler…. But then I’d need a bigger truck and trailer to pull it because it would ABSOLUTELY be taking trips to Moab to run Pritchett Canyon! Or Ouray, CO to run Black Bear Pass. Maybe some day…. But that would need the only reason I’d buy another Wrangler
 
@PinnacleBuilt , will the Mopar arms help get a Rubicon with the 35's closer to the right pinion angle/caster for now? My wife would kill me if the first thing I do is start replacing suspension will cool shit and have to get it aligned already. lol

Chris

@RDRHINO I appreciate it brother. I think I am still going to move ahead....I have spoken to so many guys around here and in Utah that love their Jeeps and DD them. I understand they are not the best highway cruisers...heck I still drive a car that I adore with a recirulating ball steering(my 66 Mustang).

As long as I know what Im getting into, Im good. I have driven semi's, school buses(no kids inside for their safety lol) and everything else under the sun. I drove that Jeep for 7 days and put over 1k miles on her in the mountains with lots of hard curves no less. I am totally ok with it and just like the Mazda and the Jeep GC I have now....minor mods....it is plenty capable in stock guise for my needs. :)

And it looks bad ass. Not the one Im getting but visually identical.

image001.webp
image002.webp
 
Last edited:
@PinnacleBuilt , will the Mopar arms help get a Rubicon with the 35's closer to the right pinion angle/caster for now? My wife would kill me if the first thing I do is start replacing suspension will cool shit and have to get it aligned already. lol

Chris

@RDRHINO I appreciate it brother. I think I am still going to move ahead....I have spoken to so many guys around here and in Utah that love their Jeeps and DD them. I understand they are not the best highway cruisers...heck I still drive a car that I adore with a recirulating ball steering(my 66 Mustang).

As long as I know what Im getting into, Im good. I have driven semi's, school buses(no kids inside for their safety lol) and everything else under the sun. I drove that Jeep for 7 days and put over 1k miles on her in the mountains with lots of hard curves no less. I am totally ok with it and just like the Mazda and the Jeep GC I have now....minor mods....it is plenty capable in stock guise for my needs. :)

And it looks bad ass. Not the one Im getting but visually identical.

View attachment 33998View attachment 33999
Yes, your caster angle now is 💩 in the high 4’s
JL’s love caster and it gets rid of the twitchy steering feel and the need to constantly correct in the hwy.

The mopar arms are 24.25” giving you an additional .25” which will effectively give you
1-1.2* more caster. Which will get you to that 5.7-6* range.

The factory m210 front axle has 6* of separation between the pinion angle and the caster angle. So a zero pinion nets 6 caster. Thats about the max with a factory axle before you start pushing the pinion down, then your asking for vibration issues.
 
Previous Raptor owner waiting for my RHO RHO - different grill from TRX What color brake calipers on canyon lake My RHO was delivered! Tonneau Cover Options Closed on a 2026 RHO today
Previous Raptor owner waiting for my RHO RHO - different grill from TRX What color brake calipers on canyon lake My RHO was delivered!

Trending content

Back
Top