Audio upgrade ideas?

NET Audio did come out with speaker wires for 25' and up Rams.

We finally have them! The new 2025-up Ram trucks with the Harman Kardon and Klipsch Audio systems have a few new tricks up their sleeves, and the new 3.5s in the dash, door and ceiling locations were one of them with a new 4 pin plug for two separate channels of audio. But, not all of the speaker locations use all four wires, they just can't make it easy, so which wires you need off of this plug will change depending on the location that you ar#harmankardon
Now, these are for if you are completely getting around the factory amplifier, this will work with very few aftermarket speakers on the factory amplifier. If you are wanting a simple speaker upgrade and leaving the factory amplifier alone, this is not for you.
2025-up Ram 1500 with Harman Kardon
2025-up Ram 1500 with Klipsch
2025-up Ram 2500-3500 with Harman Kardon
 
Figured I would post an interim update. I got the JL StealthBox (dual 10” sealed subs) installed along with a JL 750.1 amp using NET Audio’s sub harness kit with a Link DQ w/ remote bass knob.

Overall it’s a huge improvement but you still have to lower the bass and mids to get a good EQ curve. I settled on Bass -5, Mids -5, and Treble +1. I’m a bit of an old audiophile and it’s still a far distance from great but I can enjoy it now.

A Net Audio rear driver side amp rack, 3-way Focal Utopia component speakers and Helix P6 DSP Ultimate are on the way for a 3-way active setup up front.

I also ordered Focal Universal Polyglass 6x9 coaxials and a Helix Match 2.1 amp for some rear fill. Couldn’t justify Utopias for rear fill.

Plus, a MESA sound deadening kit.

I should be able to handle the install myself but it would be nice to have a local pro handle. If anyone knows a good shop in north GA please let me know.

It’s been a long time since I broke out the test tones, sine sweeps and oscilloscope…
 
Figured I would post an interim update. I got the JL StealthBox (dual 10” sealed subs) installed along with a JL 750.1 amp using NET Audio’s sub harness kit with a Link DQ w/ remote bass knob.

Overall it’s a huge improvement but you still have to lower the bass and mids to get a good EQ curve. I settled on Bass -5, Mids -5, and Treble +1. I’m a bit of an old audiophile and it’s still a far distance from great but I can enjoy it now.

A Net Audio rear driver side amp rack, 3-way Focal Utopia component speakers and Helix P6 DSP Ultimate are on the way for a 3-way active setup up front.

I also ordered Focal Universal Polyglass 6x9 coaxials and a Helix Match 2.1 amp for some rear fill. Couldn’t justify Utopias for rear fill.

Plus, a MESA sound deadening kit.

I should be able to handle the install myself but it would be nice to have a local pro handle. If anyone knows a good shop in north GA please let me know.

It’s been a long time since I broke out the test tones, sine sweeps and oscilloscope…
Excellent!
...and then you trade it in 6 months for the TRX. 😎
 
Figured I would post an interim update. I got the JL StealthBox (dual 10” sealed subs) installed along with a JL 750.1 amp using NET Audio’s sub harness kit with a Link DQ w/ remote bass knob.

Overall it’s a huge improvement but you still have to lower the bass and mids to get a good EQ curve. I settled on Bass -5, Mids -5, and Treble +1. I’m a bit of an old audiophile and it’s still a far distance from great but I can enjoy it now.

A Net Audio rear driver side amp rack, 3-way Focal Utopia component speakers and Helix P6 DSP Ultimate are on the way for a 3-way active setup up front.

I also ordered Focal Universal Polyglass 6x9 coaxials and a Helix Match 2.1 amp for some rear fill. Couldn’t justify Utopias for rear fill.

Plus, a MESA sound deadening kit.

I should be able to handle the install myself but it would be nice to have a local pro handle. If anyone knows a good shop in north GA please let me know.

It’s been a long time since I broke out the test tones, sine sweeps and oscilloscope…
It’s not North GA, but over here we have an excellent shop, Speakerbox, in Huntsville.
 
Figured I would post an interim update. I got the JL StealthBox (dual 10” sealed subs) installed along with a JL 750.1 amp using NET Audio’s sub harness kit with a Link DQ w/ remote bass knob.

Overall it’s a huge improvement but you still have to lower the bass and mids to get a good EQ curve. I settled on Bass -5, Mids -5, and Treble +1. I’m a bit of an old audiophile and it’s still a far distance from great but I can enjoy it now.

A Net Audio rear driver side amp rack, 3-way Focal Utopia component speakers and Helix P6 DSP Ultimate are on the way for a 3-way active setup up front.

I also ordered Focal Universal Polyglass 6x9 coaxials and a Helix Match 2.1 amp for some rear fill. Couldn’t justify Utopias for rear fill.

Plus, a MESA sound deadening kit.

I should be able to handle the install myself but it would be nice to have a local pro handle. If anyone knows a good shop in north GA please let me know.

It’s been a long time since I broke out the test tones, sine sweeps and oscilloscope…
Have you noticed a difference with the loss of ANC? That’s the biggest thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on a stealthbox.
 
Regarding trading it in for a TRX, nah, I’m loving this truck.

The exhaust and the stereo have been the two biggest challenges for me. The MRT Trail Rated Mid Pipe largely took care of the exhaust (and I’m still waiting to see if Corsa comes out with something better) and I can’t imagine not being happy with the Focal/Helix sound system once it’s installed and tuned.

It’ll be interesting to see how many jump ship but I kept my last one for 12 years so I don’t think my RHO is going anywhere.
 
Have you noticed a difference with the loss of ANC? That’s the biggest thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on a stealthbox.
Good question. To be honest, just today I was thinking to myself it sounded better in the cab while driving around town. Didn’t think it could be because the ANC was bypassed but who knows.

So no I haven’t noticed any increase in annoying cab drone/resonance since using the ANC bypass, and there’s a chance it may have decreased annoying resonance in the cab (to my ears).

I think I’ve seen a couple other members say they just unplugged the ANC harness in their trucks for one reason or another. I’m not sure how that differs from using a ANC bypass harness but you might want to try that to see if it makes a difference to your ears before taking the plunge on a StealthBox.
 
Good question. To be honest, just today I was thinking to myself it sounded better in the cab while driving around town. Didn’t think it could be because the ANC was bypassed but who knows.

So no I haven’t noticed any increase in annoying cab drone/resonance since using the ANC bypass, and there’s a chance it may have decreased annoying resonance in the cab (to my ears).

I think I’ve seen a couple other members say they just unplugged the ANC harness in their trucks for one reason or another. I’m not sure how that differs from using a ANC bypass harness but you might want to try that to see if it makes a difference to your ears before taking the plunge on a StealthBox.
Great idea! Never even thought about just unplugging it as a test. Appreciate the feedback!

I used to install my own car audio on my past vehicles but with 2 kids and a newborn, there is zero time for that. Got a quote for a stealthbox with two JL 10’s and alpine amp installed for $4,300. They mentioned they had all the harnesses for it to work with the stock HK system too. I’m in Northern VA so most things are inflated but, price felt a bit rich. Do you agree? I’d love to shop around to multiple installers but…back to the having zero time dilemma.
 
That’s actually tough to say. Sounds like that’s probably about $1K over retail for the components so it comes down to whether it’s worth $1K for the install to you? It was a PITA to do. You have to completely remove the rear seats.

If they’ll tune it also, correctly not “by ear”, it might be worth it. Just a good quality amp wiring kit these days is ~$100 and the PAC or Net Audio harness is another ~$200.
 
That’s actually tough to say. Sounds like that’s probably about $1K over retail for the components so it comes down to whether it’s worth $1K for the install to you? It was a PITA to do. You have to completely remove the rear seats.

If they’ll tune it also, correctly not “by ear”, it might be worth it. Just a good quality amp wiring kit these days is ~$100 and the PAC or Net Audio harness is another ~$200.
When you put it like that, sounds fair to me! We didn’t talk about tuning so I’ll bring that up before I give them the go ahead. Thank you for the help, really appreciate it!
 
  • Like
Reactions: rpr
I would just check the pricing of your equipment (you didn’t mention which Alpine amp) to make sure you know what you're paying for the labor.

But if it ultimately comes down to there’s no time to do it yourself, in my book it’s better to cry once when you pay to get it installed then to cry every time you turn your stereo on because it sounds like crap. 😂
 
When you put it like that, sounds fair to me! We didn’t talk about tuning so I’ll bring that up before I give them the go ahead. Thank you for the help, really appreciate it!
I would think closer to 3500 would be a fair target
 
I would just check the pricing of your equipment (you didn’t mention which Alpine amp) to make sure you know what you're paying for the labor.

But if it ultimately comes down to there’s no time to do it yourself, in my book it’s better to cry once when you pay to get it installed then to cry every time you turn your stereo on because it sounds like crap. 😂
Fair point. I just re-checked what he sent me and it was just a lump sum total. I’ll ask for an actual proposal to run through what equipment he actually included.
 
It’s not North GA, but over here we have an excellent shop, Speakerbox, in Huntsville.
That’s where I had my first audio system installed in my first truck back in like 2012. It was when Phoenix gold came out with a new lineup and I used all of their line.
 
Have you noticed a difference with the loss of ANC? That’s the biggest thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on a stealthbox.
After some more seat time I can confirm that to my ears I have less drone/resonance from the MRT Trail Rated exhaust in the cab since installing the ANC bypass.

I still feel like there’s some under mild acceleration around 2,200rpms, but it’s significantly less noticeable and significantly less annoying.

I did not notice this resonance at all with the stock exhaust and with the ANC connected and functional.

So it might be fair to conclude that in most cases the ANC will likely only work effectively with the stock exhaust, which it was (in theory) programmed for. Once you change the exhaust the frequencies are completely different so the ANC will likely not work or might even make things worse.

That’s my take, admittedly rife with speculation and subjectivity.
 
Went with the JL 10" stealth box, JL 1000 watt amp and Net Audio wiring harness that plugs into existing sub and the JL audio bass knob.

Install was super easy & hardest part was running power cable from battery to amp which took no time at all, the net audio wiring harness was awesome for the money & then not having to tap into wires, you simply reach hand under rear seat and unplug stock subwoofer and plug that into net audio harness. I have stock Alpine system.

I ended up going with the JL stealth box as it was completely custom fit, including rounded corners in the front of the box that allow you to still use the storage under the floor mats on each side.
 
After some more seat time I can confirm that to my ears I have less drone/resonance from the MRT Trail Rated exhaust in the cab since installing the ANC bypass.

I still feel like there’s some under mild acceleration around 2,200rpms, but it’s significantly less noticeable and significantly less annoying.

I did not notice this resonance at all with the stock exhaust and with the ANC connected and functional.

So it might be fair to conclude that in most cases the ANC will likely only work effectively with the stock exhaust, which it was (in theory) programmed for. Once you change the exhaust the frequencies are completely different so the ANC will likely not work or might even make things worse.

That’s my take, admittedly rife with speculation and subjectivity.
Finally pulled the trigger on the stealthbox. Booked install for 2/28. Appreciate your feedback - not sure I would have done it without it! Will report back once installed
 
Have you guys seen the Skar box set up? The reviews from other 1500 owners is as if they just relocated the stock set up into this box and it improved the overall system. If not, I assume just putting an after market sub, amp, and that will do the trick like the stealth box? I guess I am looking for improvements on the bass only and don't want an overkill bass that will force me into a full redo of all speakers.

 
I’m not a fan of the form factor and the SQ would not meet my needs but if you’re looking for simple and cheap it definitely looks like a decent option to consider. But that’s a lot of space and functionality to sacrifice. I’m barely ok with the lost underseat storage of the StealthBox despite the huuuge gains it provides.
 
SOUTHWEST ROADTRIP Uodate on my RHO Delivery See yall on the next exciting forum. Selling the RHO Tonneau debate continues What did you do to your RHO Today? aFe Track Series Carbon Fiber Intake Back In Stock
SOUTHWEST ROADTRIP Uodate on my RHO Delivery See yall on the next exciting forum. Selling the RHO Tonneau debate continues

Trending content

Back
Top